15 March 2012
Has it all come down to 1 game? Can the Mens 1s improve on the last 2 seasons and finish 1 place higher?
The Cold Hard Facts
- Currently sat on top of the league with a better goal difference – 44 v 33
- Have scored more goals – 76 v 55
- Have conceded more goals – 32 v 22
- Brooklands have a game in hand
- Both on 38 points
- In the last 5 games both have won 4 drawn 1
- Last time out was a 5-4 win for Brooklands
So what does the above all mean? Hold on to your hats this could get complicated!
If the 1s win on Saturday night then they are 3 points clear with 1 game to play. That game is against Deeside Ramblers who are in the relegation play off zone 5 points from safety but having played a game more than Belper.
Brooklands would then need to win their last 2 games against Belper and Preston and in the process reverse the current 11 goals that seperate the 2 sides in goal difference.
If they loose then we would need to beat Deeside and then Belper and Preston would have to beat Brooklands.
So what are the chances of a win on Saturday night? Form and past results would indicate about a 50% chance of winning. BUT it is at Abbeydale; and thats where the rest of the club come in to play!
Yes the 16 players in the squad have been picked to represent the Club in the 1st team but support, noise and banter from "The Wall" can make all the difference. So if you can set aside your plans for Saturday then your day could go a little like this….
- Breakfast of Champions
- Play your game – win makes the Club feel good
- Get to Abbeydale
- Watch England v Ireland in the 6 Nations and if the stats go the right way England win the 6 Nations (unlikely but there is still a chance!)
- Watch the M1 v Brooklands and play your part in driving the Club on to its highest ever league finish and a shot at the big time.
- Celebrate in the Bar then head in to town / home safe in the knowledge that you have done your bit!