Date 27 February 2016
Team Mens 7
Opposition ROTHERHAM 3
Fixture Home
Venue Unknown
Start time 13:20
Result W 2 - 1
Time played
Match Report

GS: Matt Dewhurst 2-F,PC


We were looking forward to this game, seeking revenge for an 8-4 defeat earlier in the season. Our recent good form gave us optimism that we might well match the opposition even though they were comfortably above us in the table.

We were particularly pleased to start with to see Oscar Jepson had got out of bed – well done, Oscar! We also welcomed back a more mature profile to the side: Yes, four players who could be classed as adults (most of the time). Off we went into the game, looking good in the first half, having most of the possession and creating most of the chances. The Rotherham goalkeeper was spending quite a lot of time sliding along the deck to stop our attacks and shots, but he had no answer to a slick passing move that saw Matthew Dewhurst fire home from the top of the D.

Into the second half, and gradually we relaxed our grip on the game slightly, and started to let Rotherham back in with a chance. Sure enough, a rather bobbly shot from one of their young players took a little extra bounce just at the right moment over Oscar’s foot. 1-1! Sorry, Oscar, we got you out of bed too early!

Back we came, putting fierce pressure on Rotherham’s defence. There was no doubting the commitment of our players as first Pat Ward, and then Will McKane, went tumbling to the King Egbert’s turf. A few scrambles in the goalmouth came and went without success until, with barely time on the clock, we won a short corner. Those who have played with the 7’s this season know that our short corner organisation is well tuned. It usually consists of “Where’s Jamie to stick-stop? Oh, he’s not playing, we’d better think of something else.” A quick debate ensued, before that experienced veteran, Kip Ward (14), suggested a cunning one-two-three between Matthew Dewhurst and Freddie Ward. It worked like a dream, as Matthew scored his second. And with great timing, Umpire Beavis blew for full time straight after the push-back.

Name Squad number Position Scored Assists Cards